SER # 20Wa
FIRST UMC – NEBRASKA CITY
WEDNESDAY MAY 13TH 2020
TEXTS: ISAIAH 40: 28 – 31
THEME: HOPE IN THE LORD.
God is Good! All the time! And all the time! God is good!
Our Scripture today is Isaiah 40: 28 – 31 “Do you not know? have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
The word of God to God’s people.
The Lord’s Prayer:
In this passage the author is reminding us of the very essence of who God is. He is not using big words to explain the abilities of God and what is possible through him. The author also reminds us of some of the true challenges that we face everyday like being weary, getting tired, unable to run or even walk. Our faith journey is met with many obstacles of life that we need help to overcome. Let us try and examine some of these real-life struggles that we face and what God can do to help us out.
Our God that we believe in is:
- Our God is an everlasting God: We know that the God we believe in is a God who is not limited with time and space. It is a God who is powerful and is everywhere. We know our God is one we can count on him everyday of our lives. It is a God who Elijah called to bring fire from heaven to prove a point. “Elijah answered the captain, if I am a man of God, may fire come down from heaven and consume you and your fifty men!” Then the fire fell from heaven and consumed the captain and his men.” (2 Kings 1:10). Elijah did this again for another group of fifty soldiers and their captain (verses 11-12) it was only the third group that their lives were saved because the captain bowed before Elijah in humility and tried to beg him to come down.
- Our God never get tired or weary: God we serve never gets tired in doing good things to his people. It is in his nature not to get tired for he is God. We can turn to God as many times as we can yet he is not in any way going to be tired to respond to us and to our request. We can count on God at night and during the day. He is an ever-present God. It is always encouraging to know that the God we serve is for ever there for us. Our request and petitions don’t make him tired but rather makes him to do more for us everyday. Humans can get tired of doing good or what is right but God does not tire. You can keep coming to God as many times and He will be ready for you. This reminds me of the story of Abraham when he wanted to save Sodom and Gomorrah from destruction. Genesis 18: 23 – 33 Abraham pleaded with God asking to spare the place. Abraham started with if there were: 50, 45, 40, 30, 20, 10, faithful God was not going to destroy it. The point here is that God was not tired of Abraham pleading.
- Our God is an understanding God: Our God who is understanding at all times. We live in a world where people where people are too busy and they have no time to listen and understand our challenges.
Having said the above we also know what our God can do to improve our everyday living:
- Gives strength to the weary: We are faced with life sucking issues in our everyday life. When we are weary of the life challenges. Sickness, relationship, and other connections.
- Increases power to the weak. When we get weak due to the shortcoming that come our way God enables us to face the difficulties. As human we are faced with issues that might weaken us spiritually because we are attacked from all sides. We have to believe that God is able to renew us for his mercies are new everyday.
We are being invited to be a people of hope. It is not any hope but hope in the LORD. There are other words that have been used in place of hope depending on the translation that you are using: trust in the LORD (NLT), those who wait for Jehovah (ASV), just to mention a few. This is what will happen to us when we wait, hope and trust in the LORD.
- They will renew their strength: I believe this means our physical strength as well as spiritual strength. Our purpose of functioning is renewed.
- Soar with wings like eagles: This invites us to aim high because with our trust and hope in God we can achieve whatever goals that we have in life. the eagle is able to soar high because of its strong wings.
- Run and not grow weary: Some aspect of life feels like we are running through life. there so many things happening around us that we almost are left wondering when did I get this far. Children grow quick before you know it, they are out of the house. You are left wondering what happened that my little boy or girl they are all gone.
- Walk and not faint: we have to trust in God who will hold us at our weak times. Weak times spiritually and physically. What keep us walking after a tragedy is the trust and hope we have in our God that the plans not to leave us alone or abandon us at any time.
To me this is a full renewal of our lives as we face everyday challenges. All that above aspects are very representative.